Bookstore of the Month: Hall's Bookshop
Sunday, June 30, 2013 by Miss K in Labels: , ,


Remember my post a few days ago about a little movie called The Last Bookshop?  Because I loved the film so much, I thought it would be very appropriate to make the very first Bookstore of the Month Hall's Bookshop, where much of the filming took place.  While many other bookshops were used in its making, the exterior of Hall's was featured prominently throughout the movie.


Although I'm pretty sure none of my readers live in the U.K., it's still a very interesting place to learn about, especially if you one day plan to visit.  Located in the town of Royal Tunbridge Wells (could there be a more English name for a place?) in Kent, Hall's Bookshop is an antiquarian bookseller that has been in business for over a hundred years.  Don't be intimidated though!  While Hall's does have a selection of rare and valuable books and a book-finding service for those hard-to-find must-haves, the majority of their stock is £10 and under, and they're famous for their 10 pence box.  They also buy used books from their customers, much as other used bookstores do, and can tell you the value of your rare books .

The atmosphere inside the store is my favorite type: a beautiful old building that is filled wall to wall, floor to ceiling with books.  It's the kind of place a bibliophile could move into and call home.


See what I mean?  If I were to go to England, I know that I would have to devote an entire day just to this one store, especially considering my love for old and rare books of all sorts.

If you'd like to pay them a visit or get in touch with them about any questions you may have, I've provided an address, contact information, and a map below.  Their hours are 9:30 am to 5:00 pm GMT, Monday through Saturday.  According to their website, they do offer a mailing service if you are unable to carry all of your books home with you, but it doesn't state whether or not they will mail to international addresses.  Also, like many places in Europe and the surrounding countries, they do not accept debit or credit cards, so come with cash in hand.  Happy travels, and may all your paths lead you to more books!


Hall's Bookshop
20-22 Chapel Place
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
TN1 1YQ

website:
www.hallsbookshop.com
email:
info@hallsbookshop.com

telephone:
01892 527 842

Post a Comment