Books of Poetry You Will Love!
Tuesday, November 22, 2011 by Miss K in Labels: , ,

So for a while there, I was really into several women poets who had very different styles but still left me with that philosophical, I-just-read-something-deep feeling.  I spend a lot of time sharing my favorite novel reads with you guys, but how many books of poetry have I shown you?  Like three or something, that's how many.  So I've decided to spice things up with 3 more books of poetry I'm sure you'll love.  Enjoy!

1.) The Moon is Always Female by Marge Piercy - Piercy is a very feminist poet, so I'm just warning readers that they might not agree with everything she has to say, especially coupled with the powerful and poignant way she says it.  I, on the other hand, totally agree with her and feel like this is one of the best books of poetry I've ever read.  Well, okay, I may not agree with bisexual polygamist relationships, but I still know a stunning collection of poems when I see it.

2.) Winter Trees by Sylvia Plath - Alright, I do know that there are a million complete-works-type collections of Sylvia Plath out there, but Winter Trees always seems to speak to me more than a hodge-podge collection of anything and everything.  The poems compliment each other, and they're probably some of Plath's best work, all completed within the last nine months of her life.  I know not everyone would agree with my "the best" statement because she has so many very, very famous and quoted poems, but I think it's a good thing to expose yourself to the not-so-known works of certain authors.  I mean, it's great to be introduced to Plath by such poems as "Daddy" and "Lady Lazarus", but there's so much more to the author than those tidbits, which is especially evident if you get around to reading The Bell Jar.

3.) The Gold Cell by Sharon Olds - Sharon Olds is a poet that has sometimes left me with mixed feelings.  The Gold Cell was one of the first books I read by her, and it managed to capture me.  She's a shock-and-awe kind of poet that says things with so much brass, you just want to look away sometimes.  She's had a life full of something, I'm not sure how to describe it, and she addresses all of that something with vivid attention to detail.  Later, I found her harder to read when I realized that a great deal of the things she was writing about weren't as dramatic or trauma-inducing as her poetry would lead you to believe.  But if you can get past that, it reads like a good bit of dramatic fiction.

Post a Comment