Hunger Games Fan Art
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 by Miss K in Labels: , ,

So I don't know about all of you, but I love fan art.  For those of you who don't know, fan art is art drawn/painted/photoshopped/etc by fans of a book/anime/movie/etc.  Deviantart is practically exploding with it.  And that is where I found all of the beautiful Hunger Games fan art presented in this post.  Art created by real fans seems to more truly capture the essence of a book and the feelings it inspires than Hollywood-style representations.  After all, fans are the only people that love a thing enough to actually invest time into creating an artistic expression of it, generally without getting paid. It also serves as an outlet for people's alternate imaginings of a story, which opens up the world of impossible romantic pairings and gives us all pictures of characters who hate each other kissing.  Without further ado, here are five beautiful pieces of fan art with a little info on each.  I hope you all adore them as much as I do!

"The Hunger Games" by Tiffany Mills (a.k.a. Sunshineyellowful); Source
A more lifelike rendering of the Mockingjay emblem worn by Katniss.  I've seen quite a few pictures that people have drawn trying to capture the look of a Mockingjay, but they all seem so harsh and look nothing like a real bird.  Being a great lover of birds, I was pleased with this realistic rendering and find him to be completely adorable and exactly how I imagined him when I was reading.  I also <3 the happy little look on his cute little bird face.
"Fire is Catching" by Megan Lara; Source
Lara is the artist behind the alternate cover art that appears on the front of some limited edition issues of Willow: Wonderland, a recent Buffy comic book spin-off series from Dark Horse.  She has drawn tons of beautiful ladies from the realms of books, TV series, video games, and comics in her lovely and unique Art Nouveau style, and I was absolutely thrilled when I saw this picture of Katniss in the artist's interpretation of her interview dress.  This is also available in t-shirt form here.
"Effie" by pseudolirium; Source
I was really thrilled to find this portrait, especially because so much Effie art is unoriginal (meaning practically traced from movie stills) and unappealing because I don't like the movie portrayal.  In several interviews, the creative minds behind the movies admitted that they tried to make the beauty of the capitol more washed out and garish than it was portrayed in the book in an attempt to make it unappealing to young viewers, whom they did not want to get the wrong message from the film.  Thus, movie-Effie is overdone and washed out rather than glamorous.  In this charming Photoshop portrait, she is perfect.  She has an almost classic appeal while still appearing futuristic and edgy.
"Berries" by Kate Wheeler (a.k.a. Rat Girl); Source; I'm loving the simplicity of this one, as well as the sort of jagged, harsh-line style.  It's so uncomplex, but their ragged appearance and the berries say a lot.  Apparently, there was some debate about the original version having the wrong coloring, so the version you see is the corrected version.  The work was originally drawn on card stock with artist quality pens, then colored in Photoshop.
"Katniss on fire" by palnk; Source
I just think this piece is amazing.  That's why I saved it for last.  Fans love to draw and paint Katniss transforming into the Mockingjay; I've even seen some cosplays of her in a "burning" dress. However, few put quite so much detail into the feathers, and I love the smouldering ember effect on the feathered part. 

I hope you've enjoyed this little adventure into the Hunger Games and into fan art; be sure to let me know if you liked it so I'll know whether or not to share the other fan art beauties I've found from across the internet!

Also, if you're not yet a fan of the Hunger Games series and would like to become one, I direct your attention to the newly remodeled online store.  You can now shop the store right here on the Notes From Carcosa site by clicking the "Shop" tab at the top of the page, or you could simply click here to get a copy (new or used) of the first book in the series.  Enjoy it!

Post a Comment